发新话题
打印

[原创] 我的父亲 (英文)

[原创] 我的父亲 (英文)

My Dad

During the so-called Cultural Revolution in the late 1960s and early 1970s in China, almost all books of literature were banned in the country except a few that were sanctioned by the Central Government. As a very curious kid with an insatiable thirst for knowledge, I found myself almost madly searching every corner for those books which missed the purge by the"revolutionaries". I managed to find and read many great literary works including the most well-known Chinese classics “Dream of Red Mansions”,“Three Kingdoms”, “Journey to the West (Monkey King)”, and “Ordinary Words to Warn the World”, all of which were banned. The very reason I could do this was that my dad “condoned” it.

I still remember one day one of my dad’s bosses dropped by our home and saw me reading “Dream of Red Mansions” which I was not quick enough to hide (the book felt almost as heavy as I was). Immediately she scolded dad for how on earth he could allow me to read a poisonous book like that! It was only after dad promised profusely he’d confiscate and burn the book and discipline me after before she let go of the matter. I almost got dad into serious trouble. Up to this point, I had not known what dad thought of me bringing back and reading those books. Being a man of not too many words, dad had never said no, but he had never said yes, either. I was feeling apprehensive. However, my fear soon dissipated. After the lady left, instead of disciplining me, dad gently asked me to be more careful and be sure to hide the books quickly next time.

I knew my dad was special because not all dads were like mine. One time I lent one of those precious books I managed hard to get to a close friend, a girl in the neighbourhood and a classmate. Somehow her dad found the book and immediately burned it!

When I grew up, I decided that I wanted to be a scholar and later became a university professor. Dad was so proud.

I must say that a lot I am doing today is still to make you proud, dad, wherever you are.

By Lin Hua 林华 on Father's Day 2014
(linhuadance@hotmail.com)

回复 1# 的帖子

Remember I read, 童年,我的大学,在人间  during the time period.

林老师,

You had a great Dad, and I am sure that he was very proud of you then and would be even more so now.  I have a great father, too.  My brother and I helped him publish a memoir when he was 80 years old a few years back.  Maybe someday I will put the preface of that book up here as well.  Thanks for sharing.

Happy to all the fathers

"It's only when you grow up, and step back from him, or leave him for your own career and your own home—it's only then that you can measure his greatness and fully appreciate it. Pride reinforces love."  Margaret Truman

freedom_2008, 谢谢!我一直知道您也有一个好父亲,建议把那个 Preface 贴上来吧,给大家分享一下。孩时有个好的睿智的父亲让我们一生幸福!

新路上手也是我们这个年龄带的?

看着可能有点像

回复 1# 的帖子

发新话题